When it comes to running a taxi business, one of the most critical decisions you’ll make is choosing the right vehicles for your fleet. Finding the perfect fit requires careful consideration of factors such as passenger capacity, fuel efficiency, operating costs, and maintenance requirements.
In this comprehensive guide, we explore the various aspects of selecting and maintaining taxis, including the benefits of buying new versus used vehicles, the most practical and efficient cars for private hire taxi drivers, and how to develop a clear idea of your requirements before considering leasing costs.
The Benefits of Buying New Taxis
Buying a new taxi can offer several advantages over purchasing a used vehicle. For one, modern cars come with a range of advanced safety features, making them more reliable and safer for passengers. Additionally, new vehicles are much more fuel-efficient than their older counterparts, which can save you money on running costs over the long term.
New taxis also come with a warranty, which will cover the cost of any repairs or breakdowns for a set period. This means you won’t have to worry about unexpected expenses eating into your profits. Finally, newer cars tend to have better resale value than older ones, which can help you recoup some of your initial investment when it’s time to upgrade your fleet.
The Benefits of Buying Used Taxis
While buying a new taxi can offer several benefits, purchasing a used vehicle can also be a smart choice, particularly if you’re on a tight budget. Used cars are generally much cheaper than new ones, which means you can get more for your money and potentially purchase more vehicles for your fleet.
Used taxis also have the advantage of being broken in. This means they may have already undergone the initial teething problems that new cars experience, making them more reliable over the long term. Finally, buying used vehicles can give you access to a wider range of models, including wheelchair-accessible vehicles, which are often difficult to find in new car dealerships.
Developing a Clear Idea of Your Requirements
Before you start looking for cars for your taxi fleet, it’s essential to develop a clear idea of your requirements. This means considering factors such as passenger capacity, luggage space, fuel efficiency, and maintenance requirements.
One way to determine your needs is to consult with managers, drivers, and other key personnel who can help you identify the exact HR roles and operational objectives your vehicles will need to support. By putting together a clear idea of your requirements before considering leasing costs, you’ll have a much higher chance of finding vehicles that will perform successfully over the long term.
Eight Steps to Consider When Selecting Taxis
To make sure you find the right vehicles for your fleet, there are eight steps to consider, each with their set of questions to ask yourself. By following these steps, you can develop a clear idea of your requirements and find the perfect cars for your private hire taxi business:
- Passengers, Loads & Additional Features
- How many passengers will the vehicle carry on a regular basis?
- What loads will the car or van need to carry on a regular basis?
- What additional features are needed? (safety, luxuries)
- Are there any specific considerations that need to be made? (For vans, racking, etc.)
- Does the vehicle have ergonomic features appropriate to the job? (ease of access, safe for mounting heavy loads).
- Operating Cycle
- Where will the vehicle be driven? (motorways, town centres, country roads)
- What is the length of their journeys?
- How often will journeys be carried out?
- Vehicle Efficiency
- Is the vehicle low in CO2 emissions and therefore low on road tax?
- The Drivers
- Have you ensured drivers have an input into the vehicle selection decision?
- Can you obtain manufacturer demonstrator vehicles to ensure they are suitable?
- Do your drivers have sufficient experience to drive the vehicle?
- Is the vehicle an appropriate choice over the long term? (Changing staff, etc.)
- Number of Vehicles
- What are your business expansion plans over the next five years?
- Will the company cover a larger geographical area or focus on other areas?
- Have you considered the whole life costs (including fuel, tax, and maintenance)?
- Are time-limited or manufacturers’ specials unfairly influencing your decision?
- Do you need all vehicles in the first instance?
- Are you fully prepared to take delivery and get them on the road?
- Seek Support
- If you change your decision in the future, will you have the opportunity to test drive alternative vehicles?
- What information and support are at your disposal during the leasing agreement?
The Taxi Shop: Your One-Stop-Shop for Private Hire and Taxi Vehicles
When it comes to buying vehicles for your private hire taxi business, there’s no better place to turn than The Taxi Shop. As the UK’s leading supplier of private hire and taxi vehicles, we offer a wide range of models to suit every need and budget.
Whether you’re looking for a 9 seater minibus for sale, a Ford Transit 9 seater minibus for sale, or a wheelchair-accessible taxi, we have the perfect vehicle for you. Our team of experts can help you navigate the buying process, from selecting the right model to arranging financing and delivery.
So why wait? Visit The Taxi Shop today and start building your dream taxi fleet!